Home Poitics Coronavirus: Sturgeon reinforces stay at home message after Johnson statement

Coronavirus: Sturgeon reinforces stay at home message after Johnson statement

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionFirst Minister Nicola Sturgeon said the advice in Scotland remains “stay at home”

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has stressed the “stay at home” message remains in place in Scotland after Boris Johnson announced his “conditional plan” to reopen society.

During his statement, the prime minister urged people to “stay alert, control the virus and save lives”.

But Ms Sturgeon said there should be a “simpler” message and that people in Scotland should still be stay at home.

The once-a-day exercise limit will be removed in Scotland from Monday.

But Ms Sturgeon said people must still stay close to home and emphasised the move does not extend to picnics, sunbathing or barbeques.

During his address in Sunday evening, Mr Johnson said people in England who could not work from home should return to the workplace – but avoid public transport.

Mr Johnson said people could do more outdoor exercise, and announced that a new five-level Covid Alert System would govern how quickly lockdown restrictions could be eased.

Ms Sturgeon said the prime minister should have stressed “more strongly” that most of the changes he referred to in his speech applied to England.

“When he talks about things like border control, he is talking for the whole UK, but really all of us have a duty right now to be as clear as possible and, having watched the prime minister, I think there is still some room for some simpler messages,” she said.

Image copyright
Andrew Parsons / 10 Downing Stre

Ms Sturgeon said the Scottish government was being “deliberately cautious” and was taking “baby steps”.

And she added: “If you change the message from stay at home to something vaguer then you don’t give clear messages to the public.”

The first minister stressed the advice to businesses in Scotland had not changed and she was not encouraging anyone to go back to work.

She said different parts of the UK were at different stages of the infection curve, and that the “all-important R number” was thought to be higher north of the border.

The first minister had earlier said that she had first learned about the UK government’s new slogan in the Sunday papers and admitted: “I do not know what ‘Stay Alert’ means.”

Ms Sturgeon accepted the need for other parts of the UK to move at different speeds, based on scientific evidence and said she is committed to the closest possible cooperation.

But she added: “We should not be reading of each other’s plans for the first time in newspapers and decisions that are taken for one nation only, for good evidence based reasons, should not be presented as if they apply UK-wide.

“Clarity of message is paramount if we expect all of you to know what we are asking of you and as leaders we have a duty to deliver that clarity to those that we are accountable to, not to confuse it.

“To that end I have asked the UK government not to deploy their ‘stay alert’ advertising campaign in Scotland.”

Ms Sturgeon added that the message in Scotland is not “stay at home if you can” but rather “stay at home full stop”.

She was speaking after latest figures show the number of deaths has increased by 10 to 1,587, while the number of positive cases is now 13,486.

Image copyright
Getty Images

The first minister said the new guidelines governing exercise in Scotland were not a “licence to meet up in groups” in parks or beaches.

She also emphasised the ongoing need for people to maintain social distancing and not mix with other households.

Ms Sturgeon said the move will bring “health and wellbeing benefits”, especially to those who live in flats and children.

Guidelines concerning the range of outdoor activities, reopening garden centres and the resumption of some outdoor work will also be considered in the coming days.

The Scottish government will also be speaking to councils about the prospect of re-opening waste and recycling centres.

The first minister said an update on these developments will be issued next weekend.

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Bengals’ Joe Burrow, Dolphins’ Brian Flores among reaction to George Floyd killing

Cincinnati Bengals rookie quarterback Joe Burrow was among the notable athletes to speak out Friday in the wake of George Floyd's death while in...

Trump announces unprecedented action against China

"They've ripped off the United States like no one has ever done before," Trump said of China, as he decried the way Beijing has...

Sources — NBA board of governors expected to approve Adam Silver’s restart plan Thursday

7:17 PM ETAdrian WojnarowskiCloseSenior NBA InsiderHost of The Woj Pod Joined ESPN in 2017Ramona ShelburneCloseESPN Senior WriterSenior writer for ESPN.comSpent seven years at the Los...

Recent Comments