Johannesburg – The deadliest mass shooting in modern Canada’s history, with a 14-hour attack over the weekend, has risen to 22 from 19, police said.
The victims include a 17-year-old child, a pregnant health worker and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) of Virginia.
Canada‘s Authorities are yet to determine the motive for the crime. Police say the gunman knew the other victims.
The suspect, 51, was killed in a confrontation with police.
At the time of the attack he was wearing a true RCMP police uniform and he drove a police car that “looked like”, authorities said.
The Nova Scotia RCMP reviewed the number of deaths in the attack in a statement on Tuesday along with a timeline of events.
Police had earlier warned the death toll could increase as they searched 16 separate crime scenes in northern and central Nova Scotia.
Their work has been reduced by the number of fires started – about five, according to police. They had to search for the rubble of those badly burned homes to find the bodies.
A full investigation may take months.
What is known about shooting?
The attack started at 22:30 on Saturday (01:30 GMT) in rural Portapique.
Police received multiple calls from emergency services reporting gunshots, and respondents found “dozens of people injured inside and outside the home” but no suspects.
They also found “numerous sites in the vicinity, including structures and vehicles that were on fire”.
The suspect’s car was found at the scene of the shooting of 23-year-old RCMP officer Const Heidi Stevenson.
The victims were also found in communities in Wentworth, Debert, Shubenacadie / Milford and Enfield, where police shot the suspect.
Little is known about what motivated the suspect, Gabriel Wortman, or why he chose his victims.
Who were the victims?
Among the deceased were a teacher, a home-based nurse working on the coronavirus frontlines, and an RCMP officer.
A nationwide referendum will be held this week to honor the victims of the shooting, as the province is locked because of the virus.
Many more power comes from social media as people cry out of grief.
The first victim publicly identified was Conconson, a 23-year-old military veteran and mother of two children.
One was Heather O’Brien, who was caring for the elderly through the Victorian Order of Nurses (VON), when the entire province was closed down before being killed in her hometown of Debert, Nova Scotia.
Another VON employee, Kristen Beaton, was also killed during the shooting.
Lisa McCully, a mother of two, was among the victims. McCully had been a school teacher at Debert Elementary School, according to the school’s website.
Not all victims – male and female, according to police – are not named.
Sean McLeod and his partner Alanna Jenkins were among those killed. Their neighbor, Tom Bagley, also died, apparently while examining the couple on Sunday morning.
“She died trying to help, who, if you knew her, always knew who she was. I know she meant something to a lot of people,” her daughter Charlene Bagley said on Facebook.
An online fundraiser has been set up to help pay for the funeral costs of a family of three, Jolene Oliver her husband Aaron (Friar) Tuck and their daughter Emily Tuck.
Spouses Jamie Blair and Greg Blair were killed Sunday, according to a relative.
“My family is going through a lot of hardship, none of them have to go through this. I love you both, and send all my love to my family and to all the other families who lost someone today,” Jessica MacBurnie said on Facebook. .
One officer – Constant Chad Morrison – was injured during the incident but is recovering.
Police said on Tuesday that they had “information that other members of the public were also injured” but gave no further details.
What else do we know about the investigation?
Police said the investigation was “detailed and complicated”.
“The investigating team is focused on learning more about the traumatic situation, including relevant details of the victim and whether others helped the suspect,” the RCMP said in its statement on Tuesday.
Police say the man’s hunting with a firearm was disrupted because he was driving a police vehicle that looked like a police escort and was wearing police uniforms. His findings are all part of the investigation.
The search ended late Sunday afternoon when a suspect was present at a service station in Enfield, north of the provincial capital Halifax. He was later shot dead.
Police have faced criticism for failing to issue an emergency alert across the province to warn residents of the danger during the protest.
Notices were issued by police on Twitter and Facebook about the incident, asking people to stay inside and open their doors.
Nova Scotia’s Prime Minister Stephen McNeil said Tuesday state officials did not receive a request from the police for more information.